One of the most discussed topics on this site is Facebook security. With several articles and guides I have tried to give you the best advice and tips on safety to stay away from scams, to protect the account in a better way and to understand why it is important to protect the account.
In addition to those reported I suggest you to read:
Today we’re going to talk about a problem common to everybody, on any browser and operating system. Fortunately, it is not a problem for mobile devices such as phones and tablets. You’re going to learn how remove virus from Facebook, or rather how to remove malicious software that interfere with Facebook by inserting most often unsolicited advertising, or breking certain features of the social network.
How to remove virus from Facebook
Malware altering websites are often extensions installed on the browser. Facebook has compiled a list of the most popular adware that you can check to see if you have installed one.
This guide will help you to cancel the extensions you do not recognize that you have installed to bring everything back to normal. In fact, if you notice anything strange on Facebook, such as Facebook banner ads in a different location , or strange Facebook behavior (pages that load multiple times, inaccurate views of the pages etc..) most likely you have been the victim of malicious software such as viruses or extensions filled with advertisements.
Install an antivirus and run a scan
If you suspect that there is something strange on Facebook the first thing to do is looking for an antivirus software and run a system scan. If you already have an antivirus installed on your computer start it and run a scan, if you have not installed any software choose one among the 11 free that Facebook gives to you. Read this article and download the antivirus:
Remove the extensions from your browser
The extensions are usually installed with programs and first of all you should uninstall the software (on windows from the control panel-> uninstall a program).
To uninstall a Google Chrome extension you should visit the extensions page (chrome ://extensions/) on the browser. To access this page you can copy and paste the URL in the address bar or follow these instructions:
- Click on three horizontal chrome settings menu in the upper right on the toolbar of the browser.
- Select Tools – Extensions.
- From the list of installed extensions, choose the one/s you wish to remove and click Uninstall. You can also choose to temporarily disable the extension (useful for understanding the source of the problem on Facebook).
- Some extensions may also change the browser home page or default search engine. If this is your case, please click on the three lines, go to settings and modify pages to open at startup and / search engines.
Firefox extensions are called add-ons and also include script or themes. To remove them:
- From the top menu “Firefox” menu firefox go to Add-ons to open the Add-ons Manager tab. If you do not see this menu (varies depending on the operating system and the version of Firefox installed) you can open the tab extensions with the keys: Ctrl + Shift + A.
- Select from the right menu the category components you want to remove. Extensions, Appearance (themes) or Plugin. Select extensions.
- Now select the add-in you want to remove or disable and click on “Remove” or “Off” (deactivate the component is useful to understand if this is the cause of the Facebook problems).
- Now click Restart to apply the removal of the add-on.
Some additional components may have changed the Firefox home page. To restore it: from the same menu click on Options and visit the General tab.
On Safari just click the gear menu key safari settings in the top right of the browser and click on Preferences, visit the tab “Extensions” and click the button to uninstall the extension you want to remove (you can also click on the switch on/off to disable all extensions, excellent function to figure out which of the extensions is causing trouble on Facebook).
On the same menu, to the General tab you can change the homepage if it had been changed.
For IE instructions are different depending on the version installed.
- Click the Tools menu (on IE9 you can use the key combination Alt + X or click on the gear in the upper right corner) and select Manage Add-ons. (or Turn on or Turn off Add-ons on IE7).
- In the list “Show”, click All add-ons (or Add-ons that have been used in Internet Explorer on IE7).
- Click Turn off on the component you wish to deactivate.
From the same menu you can also visit the page of the search engines to see if any search engine was added by malicious software, and if the default search engine has been changed. From the menu “Tools” -> “Internet Options”, you can change the home page if it had been changed by the add-in.
If you use Opera follow this way: Menu -> Extensions -> Extensions Manager (or use the key combination Ctrl + Shift + E) to open the installed extensions.
Click Turn off to temporarily disable one or more additional components or Uninstall to remove them.
That’s it. I hope you’ve removed all the viruses, malware and malicious extensions from the browser. You can now return to use Facebook safely.